The R.W. Norton Art Foundation was created in 1946 by Richard W. Norton, Jr. (1919-1974), and his mother, Mrs. Richard W. Norton (1886-1975). It was named in honor of Richard W. Norton (1886-1940), who was one of the discoverers ofthe Rodessa oil field in north Louisiana in the early 1930s.
The museum's collections were formed over the years from those of Richard W. Norton, Jr. and his mother.
Today, the collections continue to expand because of the efforts of the Board of Control, which oversees the R.W. Norton Art Foundation and Gallery.
Text and images courtesy of The R. W. Norton Art Gallery.
This page was originally published in 1997 in Resource Library Magazine. Please see Resource Library's Overview section for more information. rev. 11/8/11
Search Resource Library for thousands of articles and essays on American art.
Copyright 2011 Traditional Fine Arts Organization, Inc., an Arizona nonprofit corporation. All rights reserved.