North Shore Arts Association

Gloucester, MA

978-283-1857

http://nsarts.org/

 

(above: North Shore Arts Association, photo, © 2004 John Hazeltine)



 

Frederick J. Mulhaupt (1871-1938): Dean of the Cape Ann School

August 14 - October 24, 1999

Frederick J. Mulhaupt, Summer, Gloucester Harbor, oil on canvas, 25 x 30 inches

 

Frederick J. Mulhaupt (1871-1938) is the subject of a retrospective exhibition held at the North Shore Arts Association this summer. A highly respected and active member of the Cape Ann community of artists in the early 20th century, Mulhaupt's paintings of harbor scenes, landscapes and street scenes are remarkable for their light-filled intensity. The exhibition will be the most comprehensive display of work by the artist, and includes rarely seen paintings from museums and private collections.

Mulhaupt's paintings capture the views of Cape Ann that he so admired. At first simply a summer visitor, Mulhaupt settled permanently in Gloucester in 1922, eventually purchasing a home in the heart of the Rocky Neck area in 1932. Already justly famous for its artistic residents, this area of East Gloucester was a teaming artists colony when Mulhaupt relocated there.

Although classically trained at the Art Institute of Chicago and the ateliers of Paris where students would draw and paint the human figure, Mulhaupt's gifts lay in depicting landscapes. His harbor scenes show a remarkable tonal range, and his masterful handling of paint turn the working port of GIoucester into something extraordinary.

A fully illustrated color catalog accompanies the exhibition

 

North Shore Arts Association

Ted Tsyver, Historian, writes: "The artistic life of Cape Ann was first centered in Gloucester and Annisquam, and later, Rockport. The first local art exhibition was held in 1916 at the Gallery-on-the-Moors located on Ledge Road in East Gloucester. After seven years, the gallery proved to be too small for displaying the art of the hundreds of new artists coming to the art colony. The artists discussed the situation at a meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Weiss on August 5, 1922. Among those attending were William E. Atwood, Paul Cornoyer, Cecilia Beaux, Hugh Breckenridge, Frederick J. Mulhaupt, George L. Noyes, Walter L. Palmer, L. Edmond Klotz, and other prominent artists and residents of Cape Ann. The North Shore Arts Association was formed.

The new North Shore Arts Association of Gloucester held an open meeting on September 21st, to consider a proposition made by Thomas E. Reed to sell his property and building off East Main Street to the association. The offer was so generous that the members unanimously voted to accept it at once. The property overlooked Gloucester's inner harbor and the art colony at Rocky Neck.

The artists immediately planned a large exhibition to be held in the summer of 1923, the year of Gloucester's tercentenary celebration. The artists on Cape Ann readily welcomed the new and larger Association in East Gloucester, particularly since the purpose and aim of the association was to bring together each year a comprehensive and representative exhibition of painting and sculpture, and to persuade other artists to come to the North Shore and help in the effort to further American art.

On December 2, 1922, the Association was officially incorporated as a nonprofit institution under the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The North Shore Arts Association of Gloucester opened its doors to the public on July 14, 1923 in the refurbished Thomas E. Reed building...There had never been a larger collection of art shown at one time in Gloucester. There were 230 paintings, drawings and etchings, and fifteen pieces of sculpture by more than 140 artists.

In addition to the exhibitions, each summer for the past 77 years the galleries have been the center for a varied program of entertainment: lectures, cabarets, parties, memorials and concerts. Talented musicians as the Boston Sinfonietta conducted by Arthur Fiedler, the famous pianists Jesus Sanroma and George Copeland, and the Gruppe trio from New York have been heard and enjoyed.

Throughout the seventy-seven years of the North Shore Arts Association's existence, each summer has brought large exhibitions of painting and sculpture. These exhibitions have attracted a great many visitors, have won the praise of critics and museum authorities, and by purchases from them, have enriched many private collections."

The North Shore Arts Association is located at 197 East Main Street, Pirates Lane, Gloucester, MA, 01930. For hours please call the Association.

rev. 7/27/04. 7/13/12


When Resource Library publishes over time more than one article concerning an institution, there is created as an additional resource for readers a sub-index page containing links to each Resource Library article or essay concerning that institution, plus available information on its location and other descriptive information.

Unless otherwise noted, all text and image materials relating to the above institutional source were provided by that source. Before reproducing or transmitting text or images please read Resource Library's user agreement.

Traditional Fine Arts Organization's catalogues provide many more useful resources:

Search Resource Library for thousands of articles and essays on American art.

Copyright 2012 Traditional Fine Arts Organization, Inc., an Arizona nonprofit corporation. All rights reserved.