Courtyard, former residence of Louis and Charlotte Hyde, Bigelow and Wadsworth, Architects, built 1912
© 1987 The Hyde Collection, Glens Falls, New York
The Hyde Collection and its American Art
The Hyde Collection Art Museum was founded as a public trust established in 1952 by Charlotte Hyde, who wished to bequeath her home and its contents - a lifetime's pursuit of important fine and decorative arts and antique furnishings - to the residents of Glens Falls. Her home, referred to as Hyde House, opened to the public as a museum in 1983 and became fully accredited in 1985. A 1989 renovation and expansion project changed the historic house museum into a modern art museum complex.
2,688 pieces comprise the permanent collection emphasizing paintings, sculpture, works on paper, (European Old and Modern Masters as well as American), furniture (Italian Renaissance and 18th century French), decorative arts, textiles and period clothing, stained glass, metalwork, ceramics, pewterware and silverware. Approximately 40% of the collection is on view at any given time.
Mrs. Hyde assembled a significant group of works by important American artists including Bellows, Bierstadt, Chase, Eakins, Hassam, Homer, Metcalf, Peto, Ryder, Thayer, Vedder and Whistler. While the majority of the objects comprising the permanent collection were the result of the efforts of Louis and Charlotte Hyde, the collection continues to grow through acquisitions.
Hyde House was completed in 1912. Designed by the Boston firm of Bigelow and Wadsworth, the structure is a striking example of American Renaissance architecture. Nine rooms on two and a half stories surround a centrally lighted courtyard. The structure served as the Hydes' residence for over 50 years. Today, this historic structure is on the National Register of Historic Places and remains much as it looked when occupied by the family. It functions solely as a semi-permanent installation space for the Museum's fine and decorative arts collection and antique furnishings. A limited access Reference Library is located on the third floor.
Images from top to bottom: Childe Hassam, Girl in Pink/ In the Garden, 1896, © 1981 The Hyde Collection, Glens Falls, New York; View of the Music Room, former residence of Louis and Charlotte Hyde; Library, former residence of Louis and Charlotte Hyde, Bigelow and Wadsworth, Architects, built 1912, © 1987 The Hyde Collection, Glens Falls, New York
Read more about the Hyde Collection in Resource Library Magazine.
For further biographical information on selected artists cited in this article please see America's Distinguished Artists, a national registry of historic artists.
Search Resource Library for thousands of articles and essays on American art.
Copyright 2010 Traditional Fine Arts Organization, Inc., an Arizona nonprofit corporation. All rights reserved.