Editor's note: The Oakland Museum of California
provided source material to Resource Library for the following article
or essay. If you have questions or comments regarding the source material,
please contact the Oakland Museum of California directly through either
this phone number or web address:
Artists of Invention: a
Century of California College of the Arts (CCA)
October 13, 2007 - March 16, 2008
of the Arts (CCA) culminates its centennial celebration with Artists
of Invention: a Century of California College of the Arts, a survey
of work by 100 faculty and alumni,
many among California's most influential artists. The show opens October
13, 2007 and continues through March 16, 2008, at the Oakland Museum of
California. (right: Amy Franceschini, Sun Dial Watches, n.d.
Paper, string. Courtesy of the artist)
The exhibition features more than 120 works-paintings,
ceramics, photography, video, sculpture, mixed media, installations, textiles,
wood, and works on paper-and includes a large contemporary section from
the past 20 years.
Artists of Invention: a Century of California College
of the Arts was organized by Oakland Museum of
California Chief Curator of Art Philip Linhares, exhibition designer Ted
Cohen, and consultant Lee Plested, all CCA alumni. The contemporary section
was organized by CCA alumni Liz Mulholland, Abner Nolan, Chris Perez, Jessica
Silverman, and Bay Area curator Tara McDowell.
"A balance of technical skill and independent vision
has always marked the art associated with CCA," Lee Plested said. "The
result has been some of the most idiosyncratic and expressive art in America."
The exhibition, arranged by era, includes:
- The Society of Six, a band of renegade plein-air
painters from the 1920s;
- California production ceramists, such as Edith Heath
and Jacomena Maybeck, who taught at the college in the 1950s and 1970s,
- Weaver Trude Guermonprez, who chaired the crafts department
in the 1960s and 1970s, and textile artists Kay Sekimachi and Lia Cook;
- Bay Area Figurative painter and CCA instructor Richard
Diebenkorn, whose mode was further developed in the work of alumni Nathan
Oliveira and Manuel Neri;
- The modern studio ceramics movement, pioneered by Peter
Voulkos and continued by Robert Arneson and Viola Frey;
- John McCracken, who began his explorations in Minimalism
while a CCA student;
- West Coast Conceptualism, which broke ground with the
work of David Ireland and Dennis Oppenheim;
- Photorealism pioneer Robert Bechtle and his peers Richard
McLean, Ralph Goings, and Jack Mendenhall, a current faculty member;
- Painters Squeak Carnwath and Raymond Saunders; and
- A new generation: videographers Kota Ezawa, Désirée
Holman, and Sergio de la Torre; photographers Larry Sultan, Todd Hido,
and Liz Cohen; painter David Huffman; and mixed-media artists Lynn Marie
Kirby and Amy Franceschini, among many others.
California College of the Arts was founded in 1907 by Frederick
Meyer, a German cabinetmaker, as the School of the California Guild of Arts
and Crafts. It was known for decades as CCAC (California College of Arts
& Crafts). In 2003 the college was renamed California College of the
Arts, in recognition of the breadth of the curriculum. For a summary of
centennial events see http://www.cca.edu/about/centennial/events.php.
A full-color companion book to the exhibition is available.
(above: Richard Diebenkorn, Figure on a Porch, 1959,
Oil on canvas. Oakland Museum of California, anonymous Donor Program of
the American Federation of Arts)
(above: Jack Mendenhall, Sofa with Flowers, 1976,
Oil on canvas. Oakland Museum of California, Museum Donors Acquisition Fund
and the National Endowment for the Arts)
(above: Selden Connor Gile, Untitled (Country Scene),
n.d., Oil on canvas. Oakland Museum of California, gift of Louis Siegriest)
Essay from the exhibition companion book, also reprinted
as a take-with piece in the gallery.
- ARTISTS OF INVENTION: A CENTURY OF CCA
- This exhibition celebrates one hundred years of education in art and
design by generations of accomplished artists and teachers from the California
College of the Arts. The school was founded in 1907 by Frederick Meyer,
a German-born craftsman who had taught drawing and wood carving at the
Mark Hopkins Art Institute until its destruction in the 1906 San Francisco
earthquake and fire. Within a year after moving to Berkeley, Meyer and
his wife Laetitia opened the School of the California Guild of Arts and
Crafts with forty-three students and $45.00 in the bank. The curriculum
offered courses in both the "fine arts" (painting, drawing, and
sculpture) and the "applied arts" (practical training for designers
- The school prospered, moving frequently to accommodate increasing enrollment.
Stimulated by student interest in the "fine art" offerings, enrollment
multiplied fivefold and prominent artists were recruited to teach, among
them the celebrated painter Xavier Martinez. An influx of World War I veterans
exceeded the school's capacity, causing Meyer to seek a larger, permanent
home for the school. In 1922 he purchased the four-acre James Treadwell
estate at the junction of College Avenue and Broadway in Oakland, and began
a three-year transformation of the large Victorian home, stables, and outbuildings
into an art school. Aided by students and faculty, the transformation was
completed in 1925, but not without some difficulties: the carriage house,
a substantial two-story structure, capsized in the process of being relocated.
It was righted, and continues today to serve as the main drawing studio
on the Oakland campus.
- By 1936, now prospering at the Oakland campus, the school's name evolved
to the California College of Arts and Crafts. Soldiers returning from World
War II enrolled to study under the G.I. Bill, and by mid-century the school
was providing instruction to more than three hundred students. The students
lived in cottages, apartments, and storefronts in Oakland's Rockridge and
Temescal districts. Part-time jobs in the neighborhood were plentiful and
the students became an active part of the local community. The school's
annual Christmas Holiday Bazaar, held in Guild Hall, was a prime source
for handcrafted gifts created by the students.
- The 1960s saw the beginning of a dynamic new phase of growth, starting
with construction of student dormitories, followed by the construction
of Founder's Hall, housing the library and classrooms, and Martinez Hall,
providing painting and printmaking studios. The Treadwell Ceramics Center
opened in 1973, followed by the Shaklee Studios for glass, metal arts,
and sculpture programs. The most recent Oakland campus improvements include
the Oliver Art Center and Tecoah Bruce Gallery in 1989, and in 1993, the
Barclay Simpson Sculpture Studio, an award-winning design by CCA faculty
architect Jim Jennings.
- The need for major expansion of the school became apparent with the
addition of an architectural program. Temporary facilities were found in
San Francisco, followed by the purchase of a former Greyhound bus maintenance
terminal, which was soon transformed by the school's architects into a
spectacular multipurpose facility. Dedicated trustees and patrons funded
state-of-the-art amenities, including the Timken Lecture Hall, Wornick
Wood and Furniture Studios, Blattner Design Studios, Oliver Architecture
Studios, and the Koret Center for Digital Media. These, along with the
Carroll Weisel Hall, Logan Galleries, and the Wattis Institute, and innovative
venue for contemporary art, serve over sixteen hundred students and an
active art community that expands far beyond the Bay Area.
- From its beginning the school has had international roots: founder
Frederick Meyer served apprenticeships with designers, furniture builders,
and blacksmiths before his formal studies at the Berlin Royal Academy.
This well-grounded, integral outlook characterized his teaching and became
a major part of the school's philosophy. Many early instructors studied
in France, Italy or Germany, learning traditional old-world skills that
they applied to their work and imparted to their students. By the late
1930s, strong influences of 1930s Germany's Bauhaus came to the school
through Trude Guermonprez, a weaver and designer, who also taught at the
innovative Black Mountain College. While many early influences were European
in origin, artist/teachers sought inspiration from innumerable sources
and shared them with their students. Obscure works from Japan, China, India,
Africa, and the Middle East, tribal objects from the South Pacific, early
Christian illuminated manuscripts, and the work of "folk" or
self-trained artists all served as source material for the curious, visually
astute art students.
- From the beginning the school emphasized the importance of craft, expressed
by good craftsmanship. Basic courses, titled "Methods and Materials,"
included instruction in the proper preparation of a canvas, grinding and
mixing pigments from raw materials, and the use of specialized tools. Today
this attitude still prevails, with instruction in new technologies as well
as traditional media. Graphic designers at mid-century used X-acto knives,
presstype, and rubber cement to prepare work for publication; today this
work is done on computers, with technology advancing daily. In 2003 the
school received another name change -- to California College of the Arts,
in recognition of the disappearing distinctions between "art"
and "craft" and acceptance of the idea that expressive works
can be created in any media or form.
- This exhibition presents the work of one hundred artists-some faculty,
some students, and some both-representing the thousands of accomplished
painters, sculptors, printmakers, graphic designers, fashion and industrial
designers, weavers, architects, photographers and filmmakers, video and
performance artists who found their way to this very special school. Their
impact on world culture is, by now, inestimable, and their continuing activity
make our lives ever better.
- The exhibition is the result of a collaborative effort between the
staff of the Oakland Museum of California and that of the California College
of the Arts. Lee Plested, who earned his Masters Degree in the CCA Curatorial
Practice Program in 2005, helped develop the basic list of artists and
invited a committee of peers to select CCA artist representing the most
recent two decades and the innovative expressions that have evolved. Two
alumni -- Ted Cohen '52 and I '63 -- carried out the exhibition installation
design and curatorial matters, respectively. Our lives were greatly affected
and enriched by our studies at CCA and we are honored to present the accomplishments
of our alma mater's century of innovative artistic expressions.
- Philip E. Linhares
- Chief Curator of Art
The above essay was reprinted in Resource Library on
November 1, 2007 with the permission of the Oakland Museum of California
and the author.
Resource Library wishes to
extend appreciation to Elizabeth Whipple, Communications Manager, Oakland
Museum of CA, for her help concerning permission for reprinting the above
Links to sources of information outside of our web site
are provided only as referrals for your further consideration. Please use
due diligence in judging the quality of information contained in these and
all other web sites. Information from linked sources may be inaccurate or
out of date. TFAO neither recommends or endorses these referenced organizations.
Although TFAO includes links to other web sites, it takes no responsibility
for the content or information contained on those other sites, nor exerts
any editorial or other control over them. For more information on evaluating
web pages see TFAO's General Resources
section in Online Resources for Collectors and Students of Art History.
Read more articles and essays concerning this institutional
source by visiting the sub-index page for the Oakland
Museum of California in Resource Library.
Visit the Table
of Contents for Resource Library for thousands
of articles and essays on American art.
© Copyright 2007 Traditional Fine Arts Organization, Inc., an Arizona nonprofit corporation. All rights